two soon-to-be retirees on a once-in-a-lifetime international adventure!

two NOW RETIRED PERSONS on a once-in-a-lifetime international adventure!

Friday, March 2, 2012

Architecture of Merida

I just am dying to post my photo feature of the architecture of Merida. Can't wait a second longer! Soooo...indulge me while I diverge from our little casa story to do a bit of travelogue. Matt and I drove the span of the Yucatan this February, and I will give lots of details soon. But first, Merida's story!
Population: 970,377 (2010)
History: Mérida was founded in 1542 (Henry the eighth was still king of England then, folks!) by Francisco de Montejo "el Mozo" (son). It was built on the site of the Maya city of T'ho which had been a center of Mayan culture and activity for centuries. Because of this, many historians consider Mérida the oldest continually occupied city in the Americas. For a brief period, around the turn of the 20th century, Mérida was said to house more millionaires than any other city in the world. (Wikipedia)
PLEASE ENJOY THE PHOTOS!




 


CASA MEXILIO














Amazing, Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment